- World Trade Centre Zurich
- Swiss-Japanese Chamber of Commerce
- JETRO Switzerland
The Agreement on Free Trade and Economic Partnership (FTEPA) between Switzerland and Japan was signed on 19 February 2009 in Tokyo. It is a comprehensive agreement which puts the already close Swiss-Japanese trade and economic relations on a new, solid footing and contributes to further deepening bilateral ties.
Did you know that:
- Switzerland is the first nation in Europe concluding a FTA with Japan?
- Economically this is the most important Free Trade Agreement signed by Switzerland since 1972 (FTA between Switzerland and the European Community)?
- The agreement will enter into force on that very day (September 1, 2009)
- Japan is the world’s second largest economy after the United States
- Japan represents Switzerland’s largest trading partner in Asia
- Besides chemical and pharmaceutical products, the most important Swiss exports are watches and machines?
- Swiss exports to Japan, with an increase of 5 %, supassed an amount of CHF 7 billion last year
- Swiss imports from Japan, with an increase of 19 %, surpassed an amount of CHF 4 billion last year?
- Against all odds, Swiss exports to Japan grew 6.5 % in the first half-year 2009?
The event is giving Swiss SME’s an insight in new business opportunities created by the Free Trade Agreement with Japan.